Mathomathis would like to present an article on Vastu for house adopted from the website: Freevastushastra.com. Before proceeding further on the following article, users are advised to read the previous article Vastu for House | Principles | 101
The First Construction Goal: The Well or Water Source: The first construction project to deal with in building a new house is the well or water source. It is prescribed under vastu shastra that the water source will be dug on the North or Northeast side of the property. To locate the most ideal site to dig the well, you should draw a line from the Southeast corner to Northeast corner and mark your well to the right or left of the line and not on it. Below are the vastu guidelines for the Well:
- To ensure that the water derived from the well is pure, a ritual should be first performed on the land at an astrologically favorable time. A downward-facing constellation is said to be the best astrological time to dig the well.
- Traditionally and ideally, the well should be round.
- It is located either on the Southeast corner or Northeast corner in a spot where it will be exposed to five hours of sunlight each day.
- Wells are not recommended to serve two properties.
The Compound Walls and Gates:- The compound walls and gates are required to be built before the actual construction of the house or building goes underway. Favorable constellations are also influential during the actual construction of these walls and the agreeable days on which to commence the construction should fall on a Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Construction of these compound walls should begin from the Southwest side. As a matter of vastu shastra practice, the compound wall should not be higher than the house to be built. The height of these walls if possible should not be uniform; the Southwest part of the wall should be higher than the rest. Other provisions require that the walls on the North and East side should be shorter by 21 inches than the wall on the West and South sides. However, if this is not possible, the North and East sides should maintain at least a lowered difference of 3 inches than the West and South sides. For this matter, it is ideal to install two gates for the compound so that evil forces that enter one gate will make an exit to the other gate. Take note however that the South side should not be used for gates.
Obstructions in front of the Main Gate:- Several obstructions to the main gate can be enumerated and thus be avoided because these obstructions bring ill effects:
|Big Tree||This obstruction can cause detriments to the progress of children|
|Gutter or Ditch||This connotes grief and sorrow|
|Open Well||This is negative since it equates with mental problem|
|Corner of another building||This too concerns mental unrest instability|
|Water drain||Income will be drained by unnecessary expenses|
|Straight street||Can shorten the life span of residents|
|Dilapidated house or walls||This has a negative effect on prosperity|
|Staircase railings||Often associated with sadness|
|Pillars||Electric or telephone posts can affect the well being of female members|
However, the existence of a public road to separate obstruction from the property will lessen if not void the deficiencies. In a similar manner, if the distance between the obstruction and the house results to a difference that is twice the house’s height, the effect of the deficiencies will be nullified.
The Trees and Plants on the Property: As much as trees and plants provide natural adornment to the property, there are also certain considerations and norms to be observed in keeping with the vastu shastra:
- Planting should be done during favorable constellations. Seedlings should be grown initially in clay pots before being planted on the grounds. Tulasi plants are recommended plants for vastu shastra.
- Trees are best planted on the North, Northeast, East, or in front of the house. However, they should not to be planted directly in front of the main entrance since a shadow will loom over the entrance.
- Grow an even number of trees and should be grown on the South or West side of the house; it would be ideal if grown on both sides. It is not advisable to plant trees on the North, Northeast, or East side of a building.
- Large trees should not be planted too near the house since their roots might damage the foundations of the building and the compound wall. For that matter, do not allow tree branches to touch the house. Besides, large roots tend to absorb much sunlight and will compete with the dweller’s own need for the sun’s energy.
- If a tree is to be removed because of its negative effect, it should be done in the months of Magh or Bhadrapada. Worship the tree and express your apologies for cutting it before finally removing it and make sure that it will fall East or North ways. Vow to plant a new tree in its place then do it within the next three months.
- Thorny plants except roses should not be planted at all while creepers should be grown only in a garden with their own support to prevent them from crawling up the building.
Parking Lot:- The Northwest corner of the property is the ideal location for the parking lot but it should not be connected to the compound wall or the main building. While parked, cars should face east or north and not facing south; otherwise, the car owner will be destined to travel a long way. The parking garage should be painted with a light color.
THE VASTU SHASTRA HOUSE
Supporters of vastu shastra firmly believe that a house built without integrating vastu principles is dangerous. Total disregard of the cosmic influences makes a household vulnerable to all that can be possibly negative. As we struggle against conflict, we will continuously go through life with serious complications. Believers maintain that all else happening is never too late to adhere to vastu principles as there are corrective steps that can be taken to become sturdy and progressive. Under Vastu Shastra, the house should be constructed with the following views in mind: The Main Doors and Windows:
- Make sure they are located in the East. Placements may be modified as Northeast, East of Northeast, or North of Northeast. This location allows the positive energy to flow into the room. As an added feature it even suggests the swastika symbol to be placed on the door aside from suggesting heavy decorations as adornment.
- Vastu house construction recommends that the house should have two points of entry. They should not be set in a straight line and the one which is used as an exit door should be smaller and must have only one shutter.
- The main door being larger than the other doors should be equipped with two shutters. A recommended material for a door to bring in good balance is teak.
- For a main entrance to be ideal, vastu shastra prescribes the following:
- The main entrance should not face a wall and a door opening to the next room should be provided
- Make sure that a shadow does not loom on the main door
- It is not advisable to position the main entry point at the center of the house or in the extreme corners
- It is also important in vastu principles that the main entrance should not face road intersections or dead end roads
- There shouldn’t be large trees or imposing lamp posts that appear to be blocking the entrance
- If there is a short flight of stairs leading to the main entrance, the number of steps should be kept even
- It is not advisable for two houses to share a single main entrance
- If a main entrance door is located in the south side of the building, remember that it is best if a balcony or veranda is affixed to it
The Living Room:-
- In keeping with the traditional spots for living room you can have it at the forefront of the house, wide, and as large as you please. This is because the living room ranks first in the vastu shastra household. However, take heed as to where the dwellers are supposed to face while inside the room. Facing the East can give good results while facing the North could also be beneficial provided the living room is situated at the front side instead of front center.
- Don’t construct your living room on the west side or south side of your front room as these spots will not give-off the correct vibrations of the cosmic energy.
- You can keep more than one door for living rooms in accordance with vastu shastra but keep it in the right location. Keep this room beautiful and decorate as well as you can to promote a life with little strife and with much enjoyment.
- Be careful where you position yourself if you are in this room. If it will be used for discussions or business deals observe your seating arrangements. As the owner, take a seat that faces towards the East and your guests or business associates should sit facing the south or west. This seating arrangement will give you victory on the negotiation aspects.
- For male family members, vastu places their bedrooms in the West or Northwest since this section holds commanding and authoritative forces.
- For female family members, the South or Southeast will ensure good health and happiness if their bedroom doors and windows are located here.
- Main or Master’s Bedroom is suitably located at the Southwest.
- Bedrooms of adult married children are also ideally placed here at the Southwest. For that matter if there is a second story level, the master’s bedroom should be located on the said second level. It would be unwise to choose this area for children’s bedroom as it is said to cause trouble.
- It is not advisable for newly wed couples to use the east side for their bedroom as it is said to bring bad luck.
- The following bed habits, norms and decors should be observed:
- If one is sleeping as a guest, he should not sleep with his head facing north. Otherwise the bedroom owner should sleep heads facing east or south while sleeping
- As one rises out of bed he should set his right foot first on the floor.
- If one studies in the room the east side should be used to achieve best results.
- Northwest and Southside of the bedroom is ideal place for putting the wardrobes, while TVs and heaters should be located in the Southeast corner.
- If there should be a bathroom within the room, it is best to put it in the west or north sides of the room.
- It is not advisable to put safes in the bedroom but if necessary, place the safe on the south wall.
- Place something on the southwest corner of the room since it is not advisable to keep this spot empty.
- Photos, calendars, idols, or statues should not be kept in bedrooms.
- Never keep the room in total darkness, instead keep a night bulb lighted.
- Recommended colors for bedroom walls are light rose, dark blue, or dark green but never white or light yellow.
- Vastu provides the following pointers for the children’s bedroom:
- Children’s bedrooms are best located in the Northwest or Eastside of the house.
- There should be vacant spaces in the North side and East side in a children’s bedroom. If a space could not be provided, place the child’s bed at the South, West, or Southwest corner.
- The directions of their head while laid in their beds should be on the East side with the legs placed towards the west side. This is said to attract energy that will bring intelligence and memory power.
- Vastu places the West and South for the bathroom and provides that the flow of its drain should be towards Northeast. This position has something to do with the sun falling on the body after a good bath.
- Positioning of the toilet should be at the West or Northwest of the room at a level of 30 to 60 cm above the ground.
- If the bathroom is structured as an attachment to the building, it should be positioned on the West or Northwest and never on the Northeast side.
- Bathtubs and sinks are best located on the Northeast, North, or East side of the room.
The Dining Room:-
- Vastu recommends the dining room to be near or attached to the kitchen and situated either at the Southeast, Northwest, or Northeast corner of the house. To encourage profitability coming in, place the dining room at the West side of the building.
- It is best to keep in mind not to place your kitchen at the Southwest corner of the house since it is said to obstruct financial increase and brings certain detriments to the health of its dwellers.
- You can place the dining table at the center of the house but make sure that it is not situated towards the Southwest corner.
- Positioning the kitchen on the ground floor and the dining room on the upper floor is said to be improper since carrying food while crossing stairs is in itself improper.
- During mealtime, the proper table places should have the head of the family facing the East while the rest should either face East, West, or North. It is said that placing a family member in a position facing the South will result to petty quarrels.
- Make sure that the door of the dining room area does not face the main entrance of the room.
- The dining hall area must have a door to the East, North, or West and should not be decorated with arches.
- Dining tables should either be square, rectangular in shape or never round, eggshaped, or irregular. Dining tables attached or folded against the wall are not advisable.
- There should be water and wash basin in the East or North but never in the Southeast or Southwest corner of the room.
- Landscape paintings or portraits of nature will permit a happy atmosphere in the dining area. In addition keep the dining room positive by painting the walls with light blue, yellow, saffron, or light green hues.
- Toilets are best kept as not annexed to the dining room although there’s no harm for the laundry room to be near the dining room.
- Position the kitchen at the Southeast, although placing it in the Northwest can also be desirable. Whichever of these locations get occupied by the kitchen should also consider the cook who should be placed at the East. Avoid using the Northeast part of the house for kitchens; it’s bound to bring negative vibrations concerning family relationships and finances.
- The location of the sink where the tap water should be located at the Northeast and must not be near the stove or fire area since situations like this will hold back peace and mutual love within the family.
- It is a must to avoid placing the kitchen at the Northeast corner since conflict among family member will always take place.
- Storage shelves and attics should be in the South and West particularly those that are heavy.
The Pooja or the Prayer Room:-
- The pooja room is ideally placed at the Northeast corner of the house preferably on the ground floor; if this isn’t possible, alternative areas can be East, South, and West but never on the Northwest.
- Although we may explore areas here as to where we can have the Gods give more attention to our prayers, we should not forget the fact that our Gods can be prayed too almost anywhere because it is our faith and devotion that will be looked upon.
- Pictures and icons of the gods to be worshiped should face either the East or the West, while the person in worship should face either the East or the North. The altar should not be attached to the wall but instead kept about 2.5 cm away from the wall.
- If possible, it is good for a Pooja room to be pyramid in shape sloping inward and pointing upwards to the roof. But it is more important for the pooja room to have a door with two shutters.
- Pooja room should not share a common wall with the toilet or be placed opposite the bathroom or the toilet. This is in keeping with the pooja room being kept fragrant aside from being kept clean and clutter free since the room is a receptacle for blessings. It shouldn’t be situated above electrical appliances or gas stoves either as there are a lot of external energy emanating from these gadgets.
- White, light blue, or light yellow are the perfect colors for the pooja room.