Mathomathis would like to present an article on Vastu for house adopted from the website: Freevastushastra.com. Before proceeding further on the following article, users are advised to read the previous article Vastu for House | Construction & House | 102
The Study Room:-
- The Northeast of the house is the perfect spot for a study room. To make its location a more beneficial, place it next to the pooja or prayer room. When using this room be sure that you’re facing East or North.
- The library section should take the West side but not in the corners. Avoid placing your bookshelves in the Northwest or Southwest; having them on the East, West, or North of the room will give better benefits.
- The Northeast corner is the best for a study room. If the study room and place of worship room are adjacent then it is considered most beneficial.
- Provide this room with a two-shuttered door located at the North, Northeast, or West of the room while set your windows on the East, North, or West of the room.
- Similar to the prayer room, setting up a pyramidal study room will allow a good place for meditation.
- Have the study room painted either with white, sky blue, cream, or light green to give it the right touch.
The Swimming Pool (or Underground Water Tank, Wells, and Bore-Well)
- The swimming pool, underground water tank, wells, and bore-wells are ideally constructed in the East or Northeast of the property; another choice would simply be the North side as these are favorable spots outside of the house.
- As water denotes a positive flow of cash, bank balances, and good credit for the residents, take note that the flow of the swimming pool or water item should begin from the Northeast side going to the East side or from the Northeast side going to the North side.
- For more positive results, the slope inside a swimming pool should begin from the West to the East if the pool is located at the North side. On the other hand, if the pool is located on the East side of the property, the slope in the swimming pool should begin from the South to the North.
- Wells and tube wells are also ideally placed on the Northeast corner of the property; otherwise the home owner is bound to suffer from financial losses based on Vastu Shastra studies.
The Overhead Water Tank
- Contrary to underground water tanks, the overhead water tank should be placed Southwest as the best location or West corner as an alternative location in the corner buildings. Neither should the overhead water tank be placed in the middle of the building roof.
- Placing the overhead water tank in the Northwest corner is acceptable only if the tank is small and located about a meter away from the building’s corner roof.
- In the correct location, the overhead water tanks should be placed elevated on a platform about a meter from roof level.
- If possible choose overhead tanks that are light colored and not made of plastic. If plastic tanks could not be avoided, make it black or dark blue plastic to avoid microbial growth usual in water containers.
- Ideally, there should be a separate water tank for the kitchen where water is used for food handling and for the bathroom where water is used for general cleaning purposes.
The Balconies and Verandahs
- The balcony can achieve good health and wealth if it is incorporated at the Northeast of a house being constructed. If the house is already constructed and a balcony was placed in the Southwest, this should be corrected by enclosing it with glass or screen affixtures.
- The floor or roof of a balcony should be at a lower level than the floor of the main building.
- A slanted tin balcony roof where the corners of the structure are not rounded comprises a good balcony or verandah feature.
- Avoid arches and planting creepers on the verandah while flower pots should be kept in minimal sizes.
- Seating arrangements on the verandah should be set on the South or West sides. While provisions for shoes to be removed upon entering the house from point of the verandah, should be at the Northeast.
The Staircas:- A staircase which is considered as a heavy installation is preferably situated in the South or West part of the house. Do not utilize the North or East part of the house for a staircase as it denotes conflict between heavy objects being placed on light zones. Should a home dweller insist on putting the staircase on the North or East side of the house, it is highly probable that the household will suffer loss of wealth. The following are some Vastu Shastra tips in installing a staircase for your house:
- In coming up with a staircase, the total number of stairs should not end with a zero, for example 10 or 20 steps. Neither should they end with even numbers since Vastu Shastra believes that this makes possible the idea of starting your climb with the right foot. The right foot is equated with gain while the left foot is associated with loss.
- Circular stairways are not recommended.
- The doorway meeting the top of the stairway should be at least 20 cm lower than the doorway located at the bottom of the stairs.
- Broken stairs should immediately undergo repairs.
- The prayer room, safe, or toilet should not be placed directly under a staircase.
VASTU AND INTERIOR DECORATION
In dealing with the interior decoration of a vastu shastra house, a good understanding of the zones is required. There are positive and the negative zones which vastu shastra aims to balance. These zones deal with placing light objects and furnishings on the positive zones while the heavy ones should be kept at the negative zones. Positive zones are located at the North, East, and Northeast while negative zones are located at the South, West, and Southwest.
Placement of Furniture:
- The ideal spots for the couches and chaise lounge sets are in the south and west portion of the room. The person sitting on a couch should make sure that he or she is seated facing the North or East directions.
- Beds should be positioned pointing to the southwest direction of the room.
- Bureaus or drawers containing valuables such as cash or jewelry are best kept in southwest portion of the room.
- The dining table is best found in Northwest of the kitchen, living room, or dining room.
- Study table will bring better results if situated in the North or East of the room.
- Place aquariums in the North, East, or Northeast since they are light and water bearers as well.
Decors and Fixtures
Paintings and Statues – Vastu Shastra encourages the use of paintings that depict natural scenery, for example waterfalls, sunrise, mountains, flower fields, and the likes. Do away with war scenes and other forms of conflict and violence since they obviously do not promote peace and harmony. Statues of God and deities should have a proper niche in the prayer room but take care in choosing its location. Heavy statues should not be placed in the Northeast of the room or the house.
- Mirrors:- These objects should find suitable places in the North or East wall of the rooms. However do not place them on walls opposite the bed or put them in a study room.
- Indoor Plants:- Do not put large plants in the Northeast of the house nor use cactus and other thorny plants as your decor.
- Curtains:- Bedrooms are best fitted with light colored curtains while dark colored curtains are suitable only for the living room. In choosing dark colored curtains, red and black are not the favorable hues.
- Ceilings:- Keep ceilings flat since elevated ceilings have less appeal for Vastu Shastra concept.
- Lightings:- The house should be kept brightly lit to bring more positive vibrations to the house; avoid keeping rooms dimly lit.
- Floorings:- Flooring materials recommended by Vastu Shastra are mosaic, ceramic tiles, and marbles; white marble tiles for regular rooms are not appropriate. Use white marble tiles for pooja or prayer rooms since this will prove favorable.
- Paint Colors:- Choose light shades of colors of blue and green aside from the naturally light shades of pink and cream. Exclude red and black from your choices as they are not recommendable hues for house paints.
- Electrical Appliances:- Heat emitting appliances like gas, ovens, and microwaves are best kept in the Southeast directions. TVs, audio, and video players are best located at the North, East, and Southeast of the room. Take note not to install electrical appliances in the Northeast corner of the room.
Colors and their Vastu Impact:- As colors can stir different feelings and emotions, Vastu Shastra also puts emphasis on colors that will bring positive influences in our home. The following colors are considered complimentary to natural forces.
- Red:- The Red is complimentary only for decors and ornaments since its bright hue can liven up an otherwise disciplined environment. It is a color symbolic of bravery and power and has an energizing quality. However, refrain from using it as your wall paint particularly the bedrooms since it can also produce stressful effect.
- Orange:- Similar to the red hue, this color is strong and vibrant and at best is used for decors and ornaments. It encourages positive feelings of happiness, joy, and good relationships. Its variation into a light color can be found in peach-like tints and will make the color suitable for curtains and wall paints.
- Green: A color that represents nature which brings hope, freshness, and harmony; it denotes energy forces for quick healing, good health, and calmness to the room. This is the reason why most hospitals use this color in their environs. This color is suitable for the study room as it relaxes and readies the mind for absorption of ideas.
- Yellow: It promotes patience and wisdom and carries the sunlight aura. Rooms that receive direct sunlight are discouraged from being painted with yellow colors. However, the pooja or prayer room is an ideal choice for applying the yellow color.
- Blue: A cool color that is symbolic for spring and new growth as well as relaxation. Bedrooms and the prayer room can function well if painted with this color.
- Purple: A color symbolic of faith encourages respect and trust. However, avoid painting the entire room with this color as it tends to be over-powering. Its variation into a lighter hue is the lilac or lavender which can now render itself as suitable for bedroom walls.
- White: This color is elegant, pure, and often used as a combination with other colors. Ceilings are ideally painted with the white color since it produces a widening and bright effect. Vastu Shastra recommends this color for the Northwest bedroom also.
- Pink: A color that represents joy, happiness, and pure feeling; it is suitable for all bedrooms in the South and Southwest.
- Black: A somber color which is brooding in nature hence it is powerful in its energy. Black by its nature tends to make us feel depressed and heavily laden. In some aspects it also borders on the occult hence this color is hardly advisable for wall paints and draperies. However, this color can find its use in small amounts to give emphasis as borders and frames to ornate decors.
Vastu Shastra is intended to give human a more meaningful existence by being able to absorb all positive influences. Negative vibrations may sometimes be unavoidable but there are certain vastu shastra elements to off-set them. Live life to your fullest and learn its maximum potentials by absorbing positive influences, hopefully this article helped you achieve the meaning of vastu concept on a brief.