Mathomathis would like to present an article on Vastu for house adopted from the website: Freevastushastra.com Vastu Shastra a refined combination of ancient Hindu traditions developed as an art, analyzed as a science, and interpreted astrologically can lead the way into healthy living. There is a universal call for world peace hence the smallest unit of the society like the family should raise their offspring in an environment that knows the meaning of peace. Vastu Shastra:- it teaches us how to recognize a land suitable as a vastu for a house that will receive magnetic energy from elemental forces: the Sun, the Earth, the Sky, the Air, and the Water. Discover how ancient principles and practices interpret the value of land in terms of shapes and other geographical characteristics. How even the debris and rubbish unearthed can play an important part on the quality of the land we build our house on. Understand how and where we should position ourselves in order to receive the sun’s unseen benefits. We all wish to live a life as peacefully and comfortably as we can and a simple knowledge of the positive elemental influences can help us achieve what we all hope for.
Learn the importance of laying out your house in a manner that will ensure a harmonious balance between you and nature. The objective is to become open to positive elemental influences and at the same time become protected from unseen malevolence. Positive vibrations can bring happiness through excellence in health and business dealings while the negative vibrations can bring grief and losses. There is a purpose in each location and positioning. What we do as dwellers in a house designed as per vastu shastra can be aptly guided by the way our rooms are positioned. Vastu Shastra is a vast field and it may take more than this ebook to acquire specialization. Some basic knowledge on what are favorable and unfavorable will help us develop our own instincts to recognize a suitable land, a correct alignment, and an ideal location. Understanding the scientific reasons will help us appreciate the logic of ancient traditions which may very well help us to achieve what has been elusive for so long: happiness, contentment, and inner peace.
THE PRINCIPLES OF VASTU SHASTRA
India in the richness of its culture and tradition has some helpful tips to share with us on how we can design our homes or any kind of building for that matter. It lies in the basic principle that for man to get the maximum benefits of life’s energy giving sources, he must keep his bodily placement in balance with nature. The guiding principles are embodied in the ancient tradition known as Vastu Shastra. Roughly translated Vastu means land to live on and Shastra has reference to harmony and balance of man with nature. Vastu Shastra teaches us on how we can lay out our house design so that we as human beings can get the maximum benefits of the natural forces given-off by nature. Basically, this system deals with the five elements in Indian Mythology namely, air, water, earth, fire, and sky which are believed to be sources of natural power.
These five elements in ancient Vedic beliefs are said to be capable of giving off energy. How we, as human beings absorb this energy rely on where we are positioned. Therefore a good enough knowledge and understanding about the art or science of vastu shastra helps us appreciate its traditional values. Before we get into details about vastu shastra, let us first have a clearer concept about the five elements and its significance to human life. Ancient Vedic tradition believes that the Earth was formed 460 million years ago and it started out from being just a big fiery ball. Vedic theory has it that, earth possessed magnetic forces that caused a surface to be formed out of the rocks that melted through the passing of time. As magnets have it, there is the existence of two poles: the North Pole and the South Pole. Then there came the creation of space represented by the sky, the air inherent in space, or vacuum, the earth which is the solid surface, the water which comprises ¾ of the earth’s surface and the fire which is natural to the sun. Sky something that denotes space, a vacuum endless and infinite yet holds an unimaginable power that can reach our earthly existence. Air the gasses biologically needed by all living things on earth whether for subsistence or for ecological balance.
Water believed to be rainfall from the skies which filled up the gaps and low lying areas of the Earth. Earth that which was formed out of the molten rocks and which attracts all other elements because of its great magnetic force. Sun the bearer of fire and the main source of life on earth. It plays an important part in vastu shastra since it is worshipped as the personification of God being the potential source of creation. If we are to really think about it, life without the sun is like having the main switch turned-off. The invisible powers emanating from these elements can come in all directions. It is a must therefore to know where we can position our property, our house as well as our physical beings in order to receive the natural life forces..
|North||Happiness and Calm|
|East||Abundance of wealth|
|South||Shortage of female members or tragedies|
|West||Stomach and sexual troubles to occur among male members|
|North West||Unhealthy rivalry that can cause trouble|
|South West||Brings conflict with the son|
|South East||Death will be dreaded|
|Center of the House||Suffer from heavy monetary losses|
Vastu Shastra adapts its principles by revolving its concept in the huge power of the Sun to reach man’s existence on earth. A mere fraction of the Sun’s heat is enough to sustain the life and continuous existence of living things in a place as distant as the Earth thus the placing of a structured habitat to receive the most of the energy from all elemental forces is rendered important.
The methods and the techniques adhered to in order to achieve the benefits of vastu
shastra are based on both myths and scientific explanations. The following are the basic
objectives of the vastu shastra ideology:
- Dharma or Religion: The goal is to achieve spiritual happiness among the dwellers of the house and this can be best achieved by letting natural energy forces do the job. As we deal with family, friends, businesses, and people within the community, we often show respect and deference by observing the teachings of our religion. Thus we promote harmony by manifesting our religious maturity.
- Arth or Wealth: The objective is to gain wealth as this will provide the dweller comfort and luxury.
- Kama or Desire: The goal is to have the house and entire family members attain their heart’s desires for those that cannot be bought by way of money. As long as harmony and contentment fill the various rooms of the vastu house, real and intangible desires will be realized.
- Moksha or Salvation: Being human is being vulnerable to the worldliness of our environment hence the soul craves for salvation or redemption as a way of cleansing the soul. The positive energy forces that surround us in our environment will steer us to do what is good and what is best. The use of vastu shastra to fill in our dwellings with positive energy forces can help us achieve the four main focus of our human existence; hence we will go through this life with much satisfaction and contentment.
THE VASTU RESIDENTIAL LOT OR LAND
A house should be constructed on a good vastu or land to live on. Hence care and proper selection should be exercised when choosing to buy a property you intend to build your house on. As we have come to an understanding that different cosmic energy fields reach our place of existence here on earth, the benefits we derive from them rely on the paths where these solar and magnetic energy meet at certain points on the Earth’s surface. Hence importance is placed on how we should position our lands and homes while these different types of energy emit their life giving powers on Earth.
The sunbeams during the morning are bearers of profuse and positive energy quite beneficial to the body, while afternoon sunbeams which can easily tire the human body are best avoided because they are not useful. For this purpose, energy coming from different directions is treated in different ways. Energy received from Northeast direction to Southwest direction is to be stored in the body since the Northeast is a positive pole and the Southwest is a negative pole. Hence in constructing our homes or buildings, the Northeast side should have wider openings while the Southwest should have smaller openings. The principle behind this is to get as much positive energy as possible to achieve maximum potential for development and growth. Thus these will all start with the land upon which we build our energy receptacle or house.
Here are some helpful learning guides when acquiring lots or lands for your buildings or edifices:
Geographic Qualities of the Vastu Land
Shapes of the Lot or Land:- Vastu Shastra recommends square or rectangular shapes of lands. However, since perfectly shaped lands are hard to come by, vastu recommends what is known as the Sherdah or one where the land is wider in front and coming out narrower at the rear. There is also the favorable vastu known as Gaumukhi wherein the front part is narrower compared to the rear part where the lot is wider. The Plot or Land Facings:
- A lot facing Northeast is a good site for homes, factories, and offices.
- A lot facing Northwest is ideal for trading, business, and industrial sites.
- A lot facing Southeast is good for chemical, petro-chemical, and electricity related industries.
- A lot facing Southwest can bring good business for night time activities.
- Plots facing a road in more than one direction can also be significant in vastu principles.
- Land facing the West road brings fame and popularity.
- Land facing a South road is ideal for business ventures.
- Plots facing two-side roads :
- Lots facing North and East roads are good for overall prosperity.
- Lots facing East and South roads foretell prosperity for female residents.
- Lots facing South and West roads as well as those facing North and South roads will provide moderate fortune.
- Lots facing West and North roads are considered as prosperous lands.
- Lots facing roads on three sides, one side of which leads to a road end or facing a T-junction are considered as not ideal or weak plots.
- The best plot of all is the lot facing roads on all sides.
The Quality of Soil:- Land that has good soil quality is perfect for cultivation where agricultural production can prosper. Land with too many rocks, worms, humus, and thorny trees are not promising sites. Black and clay-like soil is hardly suitable for building sites which is also true for soil with crumbly rock composition. Soil considered as perfect for construction use are those that are yellowish in color. Vastu Shastra also gives importance to the different debris materials found in the soil during excavation processes of construction. Vastu guiding principles make use of them as indicators as to how the land fared during the past. Listed below are the equivalent interpretations for each material dug out of the soil during excavation proceedings:
|Stone||Abundance of wealth|
|Bricks||All types of riches and possessions in the future|
|Copper or metals||Affluence in life|
|Coal||Illnesses and loss of health and wealth|
|Bones of animals||Hindrance to future developments|
|Snake or Scorpion||Stumbling blocks to progress in construction|
|Anthill or Termites||Damage to wealth and lessening the longevity of life|
|Straw or Eggs||Death leading to pointless expenses|
|Pieces of wood||Need to vacate the place|
|Skull Intense||Quarrels and litigation procedures|
|Horns of cow||Wealth and abundant possessions|
|Gold or silver coins||All kinds of comforts and luxuries|
|Zinc or brass||Wealth and comforts|
|Rugs or torn clothes||Conflict, quarrels, and strife|
|Iron or steel pipes||Death or Extinction|
Effects of Roads near the Plot
|North / Northeast||Ideal for women and for business activities as this will ensure wealth|
|East / Northeast||Promotes upward trend in life especially among men; useful for newspaper offices / presses / photo studios / media industries, and residences|
|South / Southeast||Best for women as it brings happiness as well as excellence in finance|
|East / Southeast||Tends to make the residents greedy but brings more expenses|
|North / Northwest||Instability and lack of discipline and may lead to unlawful deals|
|West / Northwest||Good for businessmen with its quality to improve attitude and behavior|
|South / Southwest||Indicates accidents and bad habits for women and can lead to trouble|
|West / Southwest||Indicates frequent feuds, strife, and financial instability|
Other Things to Consider while Buying Land
- Triangular, diamond, and L-shaped lots are unpromising and therefore should not be purchased.
- Lands that are cut in the corner or takes the shape of a headless body should be avoided.
- Extensions on some portions of the land found on the Northwest side are not good. They are believed to be causes for losing fortune or money. On the other hand, extensions on the Northeast side are said to be bearers of wealth, happiness, and fame.
- Avoid plots that are humped at the center which tend to slope on all sides. If at all possible, choose a land where the north east half or the solar half is lower than the south west half or the lunar half. Adhering to this geographical make up ensures the natural flow of light, solar energy, and polar energy. Vastu principles maintain that these types of land bring happiness, good children and all kinds of successes to the home dwellers.
- Land obstructed on the North, Northeast, or East side by hills, tall buildings, or towers blocks the Sun and will be prevented from beaming down on your property. Hence, this type of land becomes unpopular. On the other hand, if the obstructions are found on the west or south side of the property which will render your property protected from the harmful heat of the sun, the property now becomes a favorable choice and it will bring health, wealth, and happiness.
- Land located near electrical power stations or large electric poles on the Northeast side of the plot does not complement the property with good vibrations.
- If you are buying property near a temple, hospital, factory, or other public places, there should be a distance of at least 80 feet away from the public places. This is to ensure that the shadow of the temple or public building will not loom over your house.
Magnetic Fields and Influences:- Each and every land we find ourselves possesses unseen magnetic forces that can attract other elemental emissions. The strength or the density depends on how we have positioned ourselves, possibly right in the path where these unseen forces meet or about a meter away or even just remotely so. Vastu tradition advises that square plots are ideal for house construction because there is concentration of energy in these types of lots. Unseen by us are several round rotational lines revolving within the house, vibrations that we do not see but we can at least slightly feel. It is a feeling that we instinctively recognize when we sometimes enter certain rooms or buildings. Hence an understanding about the shapes, purposes, and where openings are located whether North, East, South, or West enable us to receive certain magnetic influences. Consult a vastu expert as they readily recognize the geographical shapes as a whole in order to determine how and where the influences of these magnetic forces come from. We can hardly recognize the shape as square or rectangular once we are faced with the vastness of a land. Professional help can also give us correct directional intuition as to North, East, South, or West directions. The objective is to find the best land for a construction as per vastu. Myths and Rituals about the Vastu or Land:
There are certain properties considered unsuitable based on myths:
- Property being sold due to insolvency.
- Property belongs to persons suffering from leprosy.
- Property owned by lunatics or demented individuals.
- Property of persons who intend to leave the country or those who have left the country.
- Property near meat shop, workshop, laundry, and shoe shop. As a matter of propriety, land donated to a temple, assigned to a watchman of a village, acquired through charitable trusts, and those without any title deeds are not suitable for purchase.
Bhoomi Pooja or Ritual in Preparing a Land for Construction: Vastu Shastra provides that the land to be used for construction should undergo certain rituals to make them suitable. Listed below are the different steps in the ritual proceedings:
- After acquiring the property, cultivate and grow plants on the land. Prior to using the land for construction, make preparations for clearing out the land. Dirt, debris, humus, and all kinds of rubbish should be removed from the land including the up root of thorny plants and bushes.
- Commence setting up the property during a most favorable time under a most favorable constellation. To ensure accuracy, a qualified astrologer should give advice as to the proper time to set up the land for construction. Commonly known as favorable days to observe such rituals are usually on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Do not start on the construction if a female member of your household is more than seven months pregnant.
- The groundbreaking ceremony should be done when the sun is in the northern hemisphere and when days are longer than nights; usually this transpires from June 21 to December 20.
- Construction work once it commences should be unrelenting although work during the day should stop at sunset. It is unadvisable to continue working during the night. There should be a qualified engineer to oversee the construction project.
- Storing of the building materials should be done in the Southwest or Southeast corner of the property under construction. The warehouse should be positioned at least a meter away from the property boundary. Guards securing the property should stay in a house at the southeast corner to ensure danger away from thieves.
- Recycling old construction materials to build a new house or building is definitely out of the question under the Vastu Shastra principles. Old materials should be sold if still suitable and the money from the sale should be used to buy new materials.